Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lesson Plan on things to see in D.C.

Eventually I will develop (online) my 5 lesson section on visiting DC. But to get things started, I will give you the lesson I taught this past Wednesday at my Monday/Wednesday morning class (at the Y).

We have been practicing giving and receiving directions which is amazingly difficult in English. My class, as a whole, had a horrible time with the direction questions on the CASAS and they really needed great amounts of practice and review using directional prepositions, expressions and vocabulary. This was not the first lesson we did on directions (I will include those later) but it was a review lesson in which vocabulary about DC and review of directions was included.

First, we had a conversation about famous places to see in D.C. Some vocabulary we revisited and reviewed was: memorials, monuments, museums and buildings. As I showed pictures and spoke briefly about each image, I asked the students to write
"I want to see/visit/go to ________________________" or
"I don't want to see/visit/go to __________________________." To practice evaluating the information I was sharing with them. (This also allows my very beginning students to have a phrase they are conversationally comfortable with.)

Here are some of the word documents (composed of non-copyrighted images) that I used to introduce various sites of interest:
The National Gallery of Art (building fronts)
The National Gallery of Art - Examples of artwork found there

Well, since I still don't have a good hosting site I will have to postpone posting the rest of the images. I will, however, leave you with the directions activity associated with the pictures, etc.
This is the directions worksheet that I used. I pointed out that on the map we can see the east and west wings or buildings of the National Gallery of Art. We spoke about the map and the pictures (matching the pictures to the buildings they represented on the map as well as reviewing the "I want to/I don't want to" phrases. Then we worked on the worksheet.

As always, I would love comments or suggestions on how I can improve these lessons.

No comments: